Solid Waste & Recycling

Frequently Asked Questions

A: In 1997, Fairfield County disposed of almost 24,000 tons of solid waste. That’s more than one ton of garbage per person each year. The cost of garbage disposal is increasing in Fairfield County. Recycling can help to avoid some of those costs.

Recycling makes a world of difference in Fairfield County. For more information about recycling, call 803-635-5209 or send an email to

A: Residents are required to have Fairfield County Stickers on the windshield of their vehicles. These stickers are obtained by submitting proof of residence such as, tax map number, driver’s license or both. Visiting our office or mailing copies of necessary information to this office; the address is the same as the mailing address above.

A: Aluminum Products- such as cans, clean aluminum baking pans, clean aluminum foil. Newspaper, Mail Order Catalogs, Magazines, Mixed Office Paper, Telephone books, Cardboard. Papers should be clean, dry, untied and un-bagged. Plastics; all plastic bottles 1 through 7, Used Motor Oil; filters and bottles; Batteries (lead-acid only); Scrap Metals aka “White Goods” such as Refrigerators; stoves; etc. Bulk Waste aka “Brown Goods” such as mattresses; sofas; tables; etc. Yard Waste; brush; leaves; limbs; etc. Tires; carpet padding; paint.

A: No. Contractors must have a permit to haul trash to the transfer station located on the north end of the 321 Bypass next door to the Public Works Office. This permit is obtained at the Public Works Office Building; the person to see is Emily Pauley, she can be reached at (803) 635-5209.