Museum Programs and Research Facility
The mission of the Fairfield County Museum is to preserve the history of the county through the collection of significant artifacts and interpretation of the personal stories of its citizens. The museum not only serves as a repository of the county’s rich heritage but also as an active resource for the education and cultural enrichment of our county’s citizens and visitors. Museum programs and exhibits represent elements of our diverse cultural backgrounds. In addition, a staffed genealogy research facility assists visitors in uncovering their own connections between the past and the future. A well-rounded offering of services by Fairfield County Museum staff and volunteers helps cultivate important inroads into community improvement and development.
The three-story brick Museum building is a Federal-style family residence built by Richard Cathcart in 1830. It housed a young ladies’ boarding school run by Catharine and George Ladd between the years 1848 and 1860. Now a museum of local history, it houses collections spanning from the area’s pre-history up until the early 20th century. Changing exhibits are interspersed in an authentic house setting of nineteenth-century antiques donated by local families.
Genealogical records are located on the 2nd floor where staff and volunteers assist in research. This library is an excellent source for research and historical materials about Fairfield County and the families that have resided in or passed through the county on their way South and West. A large and diverse collection of materials, including legal documents and personal records, is available to the public.
Two organizations support programs and functions in the museum. Your membership in the Fairfield County Historical Society helps us with the procurement of collection pieces and providing curatorial assistance. The Society produces special events such as the annual Christmas Open House and special educational programs. Members assist museum staff in producing several informational newsletters a year and in the production of changing exhibits.
Admission is free and the facility is open Mon–Fri: 10 am to 5 pm and on Saturdays from 10 AM to 2 PM.