Involuntary Commitment (Mental Health Issues)

Department Menu

What is involuntary commitment?

If you have personal knowledge of an adult (a person 18 years old or older) or child who suffers from mental illness or chemical dependence (alcohol or drug addiction) who is endangering himself or others and is unwilling to get help, the person may need involuntary commitment at a facility for treatment. Only a mental health professional, i.e. medical doctor, can determine whether or not commitment is necessary.

FOR ADULTS: A person 18 years old or older or a child sixteen or older: If you know a person, mentally ill, needing involuntary commitment, contact:


1073 Highway 321 By-Pass
Winnsboro, SC 29180
(803) 635-4689
Hours 8:30AM - 5PM

DO NOT COME TO THE PROBATE COURT FIRST; GO TO THE APPROPRIATE MENTAL HEALTH CENTER BEFORE COMING TO PROBATE COURT. The Probate Court can only assist after the Mental Health Center (MHC) has done an initial screening.

FOR CHILDREN: A child under the age of sixteen can receive treatment upon the consent of the legal custodian. If a child will not cooperate with the parent in obtaining treatment, the same procedures outlined in the ADULT section must be followed. In most respects children ages 16 and older are treated as adults and can seek admittance at a facility for treatment.


What information should you bring?

Bring the current address, or known location of the person to be committed. YOU MUST KNOW THE LOCATION OF THE INDIVIDUAL! Law Enforcement cannot pick up the person without an address. The following information is not required but would be helpful: insurance information, date of birth, and social security number, medical doctor, medications, and anything you may feel is important.