Clerk of Court - Frequently Asked Questions

A: Parties instituting a civil action in a circuit court are required to pay the filing fee at the time the case is filed. The current fee is $150.00 for most civil actions; a fee of $10.00 is assessed for the filing of a Lis Pendens if not accompanied by a Summons & Complaint. The fee for filing a motion is $25.00.

A: Bankruptcy proceedings are an action of the US Bankruptcy Court for the District of South Carolina. For more information, you should contact the US District Court Clerk’s Office.

A: The Clerk of Court does not look up and give out case information to credit bureaus and other companies. While this information is available to the public, companies with an interest in obtaining such information must perform the research themselves.

A: Cases tried or otherwise disposed of in the Court of Common Pleas in Fairfield County are appealed to the Court of Appeals.

A: The Court of Common Pleas handles appeals from small claims and other Magistrate’s Courts and some administrative agencies. A filing fee of $150 is required at the time filing. Appeals on civil cases are automatically scheduled as Non-Jury matters.

A: Yes; you have the right to act as your own attorney, but our office cannot give you any advice as to the laws or procedures.

A: No; the Clerk’s Office and Family Court Office staff is not permitted to give legal advice. Persons seeking advice or acting as their own attorney should consult the most recent edition of the South Carolina Rules of Court and follow the Rules of Civil Procedure.

A: No; the Family Court and the Clerk of Court’s office staff is prohibited from referring you to an attorney.

Rosters are posted online 30 days before the term of court. To view the court roster online, go to (under Quick Links, click on “Court Rosters”, choose Fairfield on the map and select “Motion, Non-jury or Jury”).

A: No; the foreclosure sales are handled by the attorney appointed as Special Referee in the case. Sales are usually held on the front steps of the Courthouse on the first Monday of each month.

A: If you feel you are the victim of a crime, you should contact the nearest police department in your area.

A: No; scheduling criminal cases for trial is a function of the Solicitor’s Office.

A: You will need to contact the 6th Judicial Circuit Solicitor’s Office located in the Courthouse in Winnsboro, South Carolina. The telephone number is (803) 712-1735.

A: For direct deposit assistance contact:

A: For credit card assistance contact:

A: All child support payments are to be mailed to:

South Carolina State Disbursement Unit
P.O. Box 100302
Columbia, SC 29202-3302

Family Court only takes Purge Payments for court - CASH ONLY

A: Call the State Disbursement Unit’s automated line at 1-800-768-5858

A: You must serve on jury duty unless: you are over the age of 65 and choose not to serve; you have provided a doctor’s excuse stating that you have an illness that will prevent you from serving; you have a child under the age of 7 and do not work outside of the home. Any other reason will have to be addressed by the judge presiding at the term. Under certain circumstances, you may be transferred to another term of court.

A: Jurors are paid $10.00 per day for each day they have to appear. An excuse is attached to each check for jurors to take to their employers. We have an automated machine available for jurors to call in to see when they are needed. The Judge will give you instructions as to when you will need to call.

A: Yes; for transfer requests, please contact the Clerk of Court’s Office.

A: To request a transcript, call South Carolina Court Administration at (803) 734-1800. When making a request, you must specify the respective case’s name and the date of the hearing or trial or go to Court Administration’s website.

A: Contact an attorney of your choice. We do not have deed forms and we cannot prepare legal documents for you.

A: You should contact an attorney or paralegal to conduct your search. They have title insurance and can give you a certificate of clear title. The Clerk of Court/Register of Deeds’ Office cannot perform searches because we are not insured.

A: The Clerk of Court does not provide record checks.